The following is the Agenda exactly as released by the Secretary

 

 

 

Newfoundland Club of America, Inc.

Board of Directors

Teleconference Call

Wednesday, July 30, 2003

8:00 p.m. Eastern Time/ 7:00 p.m. Central Time

 

Agenda

 

1)      Report of the President, Tom Broderick

2)      Report of the First Vice President, Aura Dean

a)      AKC now sending NCA information with new registrations (Aura Dean)

i)        The AKC s program of sending out with each new registration an informational paper about Newfoundlands and the NCA is now up and running.  The two sided paper flyer includes information about the NCA, regional clubs and the NCA website.  The normal cost of the program will be about $100.00 per year.   (See Attachment 1, page1) 

3)      Report of the Second Vice President, Sandee Lovett

4)      Report of the Recording Secretary, Jack Dean

a)      Report on new scheduling procedure (Jack Dean)

i)        The new method of having Board members arrange by email the next teleconference date rather than discuss the matter during a teleconference is coming along better as the Board members get more accustomed to it.  It is important that each Board member promptly respond to the list of tentative dates.  Using a standard response format makes it significantly easier to collate the responses.

b)      Test of Alternative Teleconference Providers (Jack Dean)

i)        Several Board members have experienced some problems with the new provider so, since we have two at the same rate, for this next teleconference we will switch providers to give all board members a change to see how well things work.  So far, the three teleconferences the Board has had since I became the Recording Secretary have cost a little under $1,000.  By changing teleconference providers we have saved a little over $600.00

c)       Integrated Agenda Packet Progress Report (Jack Dean)

i)        We are progressing quite well with the new practice of producing a bound packet with two sided pages.  The lighter packet has enabled us to send it by the regular postal rate rather than the priority rate which amounts to a savings of about $12 to $25 per teleconference or about $100 to $200 per year.  Having the packet bound saves the problem of loose papers and makes it easier to refer to past packets. Further, we do not have to reproduce old material that appeared in prior packets for each new meeting packet.  Board members can simply look at the old packet. 

ii)       Officers, Board members and Committee chairs are requested to cooperate in this matter by mailing their submissions to the Recording Secretary rather than individually mailing them out to each Board member.  That saves us the postage and envelope costs (about 50 cents per Board member or about $6.00 a mailing) Also, it makes the assembly of the packet significantly easier if you submit the materials electronically where possible.

iii)     Remember, in a period of very a large budgetary deficit, each small savings can add up to significant total savings.

5)      Report of the Corresponding Secretary, Robin Seamen

a)      AKC Info on Newf Participation at Crufts  (See Attachment 2, pages 2 to 5)

6)      Report of the Treasurer, Mary L. Price

7)      Report of the AKC Delegate, Mary W. Price

8)      Committee Reports

9)      Executive Session

a)      Applicants for Membership & other matters

10)  Unfinished Business
(Please note that some minor changes have been made in the items to update them to reflect changes since the time they first appeared)

a)      Request that the NCA Board ask that all candidates for the Board answer the following question: (Jack Dean)

i)        “What do you think are the two biggest problems facing the NCA and how would you solve them?”  This is the same question candidates were required to answer last year.  It gives the members a chance to evaluate how the candidates view the NCA’s operations and how they would solve existing problems.  It provides a basis for a more rational decision than just the 300 word statement.

b)      Request that the NCA Board ask that all candidates for the Board answer the following question: (Jack Dean)

i)        “What do you think of term limits for committees and Board members and, if elected, would you voluntarily agree to a term limit and, if so, what would it be?”  Unlike the previous general question, this is a specific question that may be difficult to answer.  It would show how candidates approach difficult issues and the reasoning they use to resolve them.

c)      Privacy of matters done in Executive Session (Patti McDowell) 

i)        Statements made in executive session at the national were known to the members shortly after they were made. There should be an understanding of the privacy of comments made and votes taken in Executive Session. 

d)      Request of suggested changes in Policy Manual (Jack Dean)  

i)        The Policy Manual just prepared is already about nine months out of date, has chronological errors regarding the history, and in its current form is expensive to reproduce each year because it contains a large number of sections on committees that have been abolished but are reprinted each year.  When changes are made, the Board has no way of determining what has been changed since the last version because it is buried in the Policy Manual.  It is requested that the new chair consider preparing and distributing cumulative quarterly updates of the recent modifications only and consider reformatting the document so that it takes up less space and unchanged sections such as abolished committees portions are placed in a separate volume and not reprinted each year.  The cost saving of this minor change might be well over $200.00 per year.

e)      Bringing Sick Dogs to the National  (Jacqueline Brellochs) 

i)        There should be some statement made about bringing sick dogs to the National.  We realize that a dog may be asymptomatic upon leaving home, but for so many Newfs to have become sick at this past National! A reminder should be made.

f)       To have a committee formed to investigate the apparent communicable disease outbreak of the sick dogs at the national and make recommendations to minimize the problem in the future. (Jack Dean)    

i)         There was a considerable problem with sick dogs at the recent National.  There were probably over 100 dogs affected, both at that the show and later at home.  There were several trips to the emergency vet office.  From a phone conversation, it is estimated that 20 dogs were treated on an emergency basis during the show.  The cost of treating 3 dogs alone was about $1,700.  In some instances the disease was carried home to other dogs and one person had a vet bill of $900.  The cost to members for veterinary care arising out  of this incident could easily be well over $15,000

ii)       There had never been a dog show at the host site.  From various reports there is much evidence that people brought dogs to the National knowing that they were ill.  Dr. Steve Van Wie, a veterinarian and NCA member, has done a study on this matter that apparently confirms the infectious nature of the problem.  He is well familiar with epidemiology.  In fact, he went to England as part of a team of American Vets to help contain the outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease. 

iii)     I have no idea of what the proper solution is but we cannot ignore the problem.  I realize that we cannot make it go away, but that does not mean that we cannot try to minimize the effects.  I have no idea of what would be the best solution.  It must be a balance between the ease of showing dogs and protecting them. 

iv)     I would suggest we appoint an ad hoc committee of experienced people to come back to the Board with recommendations on preventive measures, suggestions to use existing procedures to minimize the problem and suggestions for changes in the National Specialty Guide to minimize this problem.

g)      Motions to have the video currently used by the JEC reviewed and approved by the Board and to make explicit existing policy (Jacqueline Brellochs) 

i)        Item 1 A video of an NCA water test and an NCA draft test was shown at the JEC seminar, Thursday, April 24th, 2003 at Ellicottville.  This video has not been viewed and voted upon by the Board.  To rectify this, I make a motion that the Board directs the JEC to provide 2 copies of said video for circulation to Board members by a specific date.  (See Attachment 3 of May 27, 2003 Agenda pages 14 to 15)

ii)       Item 2 In the Policy Manual, Committee Guidelines and Policies Responsibilities.  9.  ADD in front of last sentence:  All materials used to represent the NCA and/or to educate fanciers and others interested in the breed must receive advance Board approval.  (Though not spelled out here, this has been acted upon by the Board as noted in the NCA Policy Manual, vol. 1, under JEC.)

h)      Health Links on the NCA Website (Tracy Warncke and Chris LaMuraglia)

i)        Direct the NCA website to link to the health links on the Berner website  (see attachment 4 of May 27, 2003 Agenda, pages 16 to 52)

i)        Recommendations for Direct Appointment by the Board of two people to Breed Mentor Status  (Roger Frey)

i)        Inasmuch as the Board and the JEC came to the consensus that the Board can make appointments to the Breed Mentor list at their discretion and whereas there are NCA members that meet the criteria for inclusion on said list and that would like to serve the breed and club by being on said list I would like to propose two names for inclusion on the Breed Mentor list.

j)        Proposal to Establish a National Specialty Support Committee  (Jan Boggio) 

i)        This committee would be charged with reviewing the current National Specialty Guidelines and Committee structure set-up and developing a plan to addresses the changing dynamics of the National Specialty in regard to the current policy. Among the topics to be discussed are such issues as illness prevention, reservation system oversight, multiple club hosting, permanent or rotating sites, and financing. This committee would include past specialty chairs, as well as grounds, ways and means and hospitality chairs from recent national specialties. Committee members could also offer guidance as needed to future National Specialty Chairs and Committee chairs based on their previous experiences

k)     National Specialty VN Classes and Plates for Agility and other events (Deb Wigal & Mary Price)

i)         This item was discussed at the last Board meeting, and National Specialty Coordinator Henry Jurczyk and Uniform Trophy Chair Lee Ann Hughes are to join the teleconference and give their recommendations concerning plates and other items awarded at the national.

11)  New Business

a)      Request for Board Input on policy changes regarding Supported Entries with a Sweepstakes.  (Robin Seaman)

i)        Regional Specialty Committee has a question on whether or not the NCA should pay for Sweepstakes fee to the AKC when a club decides to hold them in conjunction with a Supported Entry.  It has been a policy to pay for Regional Specialty fees to the AKC, but is this something that is necessary to do when a Regional Club decides to hold a Supported Entry with a Sweepstakes.  The paper work does have to be done with the Regional Specialty Coordinator. 

b)      Request to create an ad hoc committee to examine effectiveness of advertising and to try to recruit NCA members with experience and skills in advertising as members of the committee. (Jack Dean) 

i)        The NCA spends significant amounts of money on magazine advertising and is considering funding Regional Club newspaper advertising.  (Perhaps $13,000 a year total.) 

ii)       Everyone agrees that the goal is laudable, but no one with professional expertise has evaluated whether the money is well spent or if our advertising is cost effective.  No one with expertise has examined what type, size and frequency of advertising gives us the most “bang for the buck.” 

iii)     The only feedback that I know that we have is that the ads generate some responses, but we do not know if

(1)   The same response might be generated by a smaller ad, or

(2)   Would more frequent running of several small ads be better than one large ad, or 

(3)   Whether local newspaper advertising is more effective than national magazine advertising. 

(4)   What is the best mix of advertising to be most cost effective?

iv)     Everyone can offer their guesses as to which type of ad is best, but few have the expertise to authoritatively help answer the question. 

v)      A committee of advertising professionals might give us better insights on how to effectively spend our money.  They might also have the ability to enlist non NCA members in evaluating our existing and proposed programs.

c)      Working Dog Committee Request for Approval of Aggressive Dog Guidelines

i)        The WDC has developed guidelines dealing with dog biting people and dog to dog aggression and requests approval of the Board  (Attachment 3, pages 6 to 7).

d)      Index to Pictures of Newfoundlands in Newf Tide (Jacqueline Brellochs)

i)        This could be a valuable and time-saving tool for the membership.  Carol Cotton did one for 1970-1991 which was given to the NCA Historian and can be obtained upon request (BUT how many people are aware of its existence?)  It would be most helpful for this to be updated and maintained from year to year.   

12)  Choose A Date For The Next Teleconference

a)      Wednesday, September 10, 2003 appears to be acceptable to everyone

13)  Adjournment

14)  FYI Inclusions

a)      Lori Littleford info on CHIC (pages 6 to 22)

b)      NCA Board Contact Directory