The following is the Agenda exactly as released by the Secretary

 

 

 

 

Newfoundland Club of America, Inc.

Board of Directors

Teleconference Call

Wednesday, September 10, 2003

8:00 p.m. Eastern Time/ 7:00 p.m. Central Time

 

Agenda

 

1)      Approval of Minutes

    a)      Will be circulated by email for comments prior to the teleconference

2)      Report of the President, Tom Broderick

    a)      Westminster is asking us for some information to be used in conjunction with their show.  (See attachment A pages 1 to 3)

3)      Report of the First Vice President, Aura Dean

4)      Report of the Second Vice President, Sandee Lovett

5)      Report of the Recording Secretary, Jack Dean.

    a)      Integrated Agenda Packet Policy Manual Addition (Jack Dean)

        i)        Most of the people who have agenda items are following the new procedure of sending everything to the secretary for inclusion in the Agenda packet.  Rather than have one person send individual letters to each of the 15 board members, it is better that everything be sent in one packet.  It can be significantly cheaper because of high postal costs.  It keeps some control of all the loose papers that tend to accumulate and then get lost.  Finally, we can keep track of material from meeting to meeting.

        ii)       I would propose the following policy

        iii)     Normally any item that is to be submitted to the entire Board either as an informational item or with an Agenda item should be sent to the Recording Secretary for distribution, preferably in an electronic format.  Two exceptions to this policy are items that are very time sensitive and would not reach the board in the normal agenda packet and would normally be acted upon at the next board meeting or items that, because of their bulk or weight, would be more economically distributed by mailing to the individual members.   

        iv)     Remember, in a period of very a large projected budgetary deficit, each small savings can add up to significant total savings.

6)      Report of the Corresponding Secretary, Robin Seamen

        a)      AKC Request for a vote on AKC’s Lifetime Achievement Awards 2004 (See Attachment B, pages 4 to 9)

7)      Report of the Treasurer, Mary L. Price

8)      Report of the AKC Delegate, Mary W. Price

9)      Committee Reports

10)  Executive Session

        a)      Applicants for Membership & other matters

11)  Unfinished Business
(Please note that some minor changes have been made in the items to update them to reflect changes since the time they first appeared)

    a)      Privacy of matters done in Executive Session (Patti McDowell) 

        i)        Statements made in executive session at the national were known to the members shortly after they were made. There should be an understanding of the privacy of comments made and votes taken in Executive Session

        ii)       This was very briefly discussed at the last teleconference and is on the Agenda only if members wish to make additional comments.. 

    b)      Request of suggested changes in Policy Manual (Jack Dean)  

        i)        The Policy Manual just prepared is already about nine months out of date, has chronological errors regarding the history, and in its current form is expensive to reproduce each year because it contains a large number of sections on committees that have been abolished but are reprinted each year.  When changes are made, the Board has no way of determining what has been changed since the last version because it is buried in the Policy Manual.  It is requested that the new chair consider preparing and distributing cumulative quarterly updates of the recent modifications only and consider reformatting the document so that it takes up less space and unchanged sections such as abolished committees portions are placed in a separate volume and not reprinted each year.  The cost saving of this minor change might be well over $200.00 per year.

    c)      Bringing Sick Dogs to the National  (Jacqueline Brellochs) 

        i)        There should be some statement made about bringing sick dogs to the National.  We realize that a dog may be asymptomatic upon leaving home, but for so many Newfs to have become sick at this past National! A reminder should be made.

       d)     To have a committee formed to investigate the apparent communicable disease outbreak of the sick dogs at the national and make recommendations to minimize the problem in the future. (Jack Dean)    

            i)         There was a considerable problem with sick dogs at the recent National.  There were probably over 100 dogs affected, both at that the show and later at home.  There were several trips to the emergency vet office.  From a phone conversation, it is estimated that 20 dogs were treated on an emergency basis during the show.  The cost of treating 3 dogs alone was about $1,700.  In some instances the disease was carried home to other dogs and one person had a vet bill of $900.  The cost to members for veterinary care arising out  of this incident could easily be well over $15,000

            ii)       There had never been a dog show at the host site.  From various reports there is much evidence that people brought dogs to the National knowing that they were ill.  Dr. Steve Van Wie, a veterinarian and NCA member, has done a study on this matter that apparently confirms the infectious nature of the problem.  He is well familiar with epidemiology.  In fact, he went to England as part of a team of American Vets to help contain the outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease. 

            iii)     I have no idea of what the proper solution is but we cannot ignore the problem.  I realize that we cannot make it go away, but that does not mean that we cannot try to minimize the effects.  I have no idea of what would be the best solution.  It must be a balance between the ease of showing dogs and protecting them. 

            iv)     I would suggest we appoint an ad hoc committee of experienced people to come back to the Board with recommendations on preventive measures, suggestions to use existing procedures to minimize the problem and suggestions for changes in the National Specialty Guide to minimize this problem.

        e)      Motions to have the video currently used by the JEC reviewed and approved by the Board and to make explicit existing policy (Jacqueline Brellochs) 

            i)        Item 1 A video of an NCA water test and an NCA draft test was shown at the JEC seminar, Thursday, April 24th, 2003 at Ellicottville.  This video has not been viewed and voted upon by the Board.  To rectify this, I make a motion that the Board directs the JEC to provide 2 copies of said video for circulation to Board members by a specific date.  (See Attachment 3 of May 27, 2003 Agenda pages 14 to 15)

            ii)       Item 2 In the Policy Manual, Committee Guidelines and Policies Responsibilities.  9.  ADD in front of last sentence:  All materials used to represent the NCA and/or to educate fanciers and others interested in the breed must receive advance Board approval.  (Though not spelled out here, this has been acted upon by the Board as noted in the NCA Policy Manual, vol. 1, under JEC.)

    f)       Health Links on the NCA Website (Tracy Warncke and Chris LaMuraglia)

    i)        Direct the NCA website to link to the health links on the Berner website  (see attachment 4 of May 27, 2003 Agenda, pages 16 to 52)

    g)      Recommendations for Direct Appointment by the Board of two people to Breed Mentor Status  (Roger Frey)

            i)        Inasmuch as the Board and the JEC came to the consensus that the Board can make appointments to the Breed Mentor list at their discretion and whereas there are NCA members that meet the criteria for inclusion on said list and that would like to serve the breed and club by being on said list I would like to propose two names for inclusion on the Breed Mentor list.

            ii)       This matter was also briefly discussed at the last teleconference

    h)      Request to create an ad hoc committee to examine effectiveness of advertising and to try to recruit NCA members with experience and skills in advertising as members of the committee. (Jack Dean) 

            i)        The NCA spends significant amounts of money on magazine advertising and is considering funding Regional Club newspaper advertising.  (Perhaps $13,000 a year total.) 

            ii)       Everyone agrees that the goal is laudable, but no one with professional expertise has evaluated whether the money is well spent or if our advertising is cost effective.  No one with expertise has examined what type, size and frequency of advertising gives us the most “bang for the buck.” 

            iii)     The only feedback that I know that we have is that the ads generate some responses, but we do not know if

(1)   The same response might be generated by a smaller ad, or

(2)   Would more frequent running of several small ads be better than one large ad, or 

(3)   Whether local newspaper advertising is more effective than national magazine advertising. 

(4)   What is the best mix of advertising to be most cost effective?

            iv)     Everyone can offer their guesses as to which type of ad is best, but few have the expertise to authoritatively help answer the question. 

            v)      A committee of advertising professionals might give us better insights on how to effectively spend our money.  They might also have the ability to enlist non NCA members in evaluating our existing and proposed programs.

        i)        Index to Pictures of Newfoundlands in Newf Tide (Jacqueline Brellochs)

            i)        This could be a valuable and time-saving tool for the membership.  Carol Cotton did one for 1970-1991 which was given to the NCA Historian and can be obtained upon request (BUT how many people are aware of its existence?)  It would be most helpful for this to be updated and maintained from year..

12)  New Business

    a)      Selection of Alternative Teleconference Providers (Jack Dean)

    i)        We are saving a great deal of money (about $4,000 a year) by using one of the alternate teleconference providers.  At the conclusion of this session we will have had multiple conferences using both lower cost providers who charge the same rate. A decision should be made as to who to use for the next teleconference 

    b)      Request to have the Finance Committee Investigate the causes of the $68,000 projected deficit and suggest to the Board recommendations for better fiscal management (Jack Dean)

        i)        We have a projected budget deficit of over $68,000 for the coming year.

        ii)       While the budget figures have never been highly accurate, the cash flows for some years were comforting.  For each of the early years ending in June we made strong profits. In 1999: $19,375; in 2000 $19,639 and in 2001  $15,636

        iii)     Then in 2002 something drastically changed. We lost in 2002 -$19,523 and in 2003-$36,417 (See attachment C, page 10)

        iv)     From the fiscal year ending July, 2001 we went from a $15,636 profit to a loss of $19,523 in the next year.  A total reversal of about  $35,000

        v)      After we received the budget in June, the finance committee stated it was going to look into this matter shortly after our September Board teleconference.

        vi)     We need an answer back from them as to what happened to cause the $35,000 difference and can expenses be controlled.

        vii)   I would like to see the matter referred to the finance committee for a thorough analysis including

(1)    what caused the change between July of 2001 and 2002,

(2)    an evaluation of how accurate our budget process has been in the past

(3)   what can be done to improve our budgeting in the future,

(4)   why we did not see this coming, and

(5)    finally their recommendations on how to begin to solve the problem

13)  Choose A Date For The Next Teleconference

        a)      There have been emails about the length of the teleconferences, their length and frequency and if we should do more by email.  A decision should be made if we will have a teleconference prior to the November face to face meeting and if so, when it will be held. 

14)  Adjournment

15)  FYI Inclusions

        a)      Letter from Tamzin Rosenwasser on proposed WDC Rules (Attachment D pages 11 & 12)

        b)      Letter of Newf Tide Policy Committee in response to Jacqueline Brellochs question (Attachment E, pages 13 & 14)

        c)      NCA Board Contact Directory (page 15)

                i)        Note new email address for Sandee Lovett