NEWFOUNDLAND CLUB OF AMERICA, INC.

Minutes of the Board of Directors

Face-to-Face Meeting

Tuesday, April 23, 2002

Clarion Hotel, Carlisle, Pennsylvania

Editor's Note: Because there minutes are so long, a brief table of contents has been provided in the beginning.  Just clicking on an item below will take you to that item in the minutes

Parliamentarian

Teambuilding

Membership

Ad-hoc Database Committee

NCA Board Minutes

President's Report

First Vice-President's Report

Second Vice-President's Report

Corresponding Secretary's Report

Treasurer's Report

Recording Secretary's Report

AKC Delegate

Working Dog Committee

Canine Health Information Center

NCA Health Challenge

Committee Reports

Health and Longevity

Distinguished Member Restoration Committee

Internet Committee

Policy Committee

Companion Newfoundland Committee

Regional Club Liaison

Steering Committee

Working Dog Committee

Judges Education Committee

Newf Tide Policy

National Specialty Committee

Committee Appointments

Breeder’s List Application for 2002-2003

Board Appointed Committees

Open Committees with Board-appointed chairs

Ad Hoc Committees

President Beverly Eichel called the meeting to order at 8:09 a.m. Eastern Time. The following directors were present: Tom Broderick (TB), Mary Lou Cuddy (MLC), Aura Dean (AD), Clyde Dunphy (CD), Beverly Eichel (BE), Roger Frey (RF), Joan Gunn (JG), Sandee Lovett (SL), Roger Powell (RP), Mary L. Price (MLP), Robin Seaman (RS), and Mary W. Price (MWP), AKC delegate. Jack Dean and Debra Wigal Board members elect were present. Debra Wigal joined the meeting at 10:38 am. She was entered in the Draft Test. Steve McAdams (SM) was excused from this meeting due to work commitments.

NCA members Steve Britton, Kevin Gallagher, Bob Rogers and Ron Sell were in attendance. 

Beverly Eichel asked for a formal motion to conduct the meeting according to Robert’s Rules of Order. Joan Gunn moved and Clyde Dunphy seconded to conduct the meeting according to Robert’s Rules of Order. The motion carried unanimously. (Absent: SM)

Parliamentarian

Beverly appointed Clyde Dunphy as the Parliamentarian for this meeting. It was suggested that Steve Britton be appointed Parliamentarian and it was brought up that Section 47 of Robert’s Rules of Order states that that the Parliamentarian cannot vote. Steve Britton is a member of National Association of Parliamentarians. Clyde withdrew and the president appointed Steve Britton.

Teambuilding

Based upon the rationale that there were communication issues on the Board, Joan Gunn moved and Roger Frey seconded to have a teambuilding exercise. The following comments were made: That there would not be enough time to have a teambuilding exercise for one hour. There were too many items on the agenda to have constructive teambuilding.  The last minutes state that we will not have a team building exercise, but that was interpreted to mean only if we were going to pay someone to conduct the teambuilding.  There was not going to be any paid professional direction at this exercise. Clyde Dunphy moved and Roger Frey seconded to Call the Question and this motion passed unanimously. Absent (SM).  The original motion passed. 7 Yes, 4 No (TB, RS, AD, RP) (Absent: SM)

At 8:22 a.m. the team building exercise began. Beverly awarded a white feather to every Board member except Jack Dean, to whom she awarded a dark feather, and said that he had to earn a white one. She then read an example of teambuilding in the animal kingdom: Teambuilding Lessons We Can Learn From Geese

Fact #1 – As each bird flaps its wings, it creates uplift for the bird following. By flying in a “V” formation, the whole flock adds 71% greater flying range than if one bird flew alone Lesson Learned – People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the strength of one another.

Fact #2 – Whenever a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to fly alone and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front.

Lesson learned – If we have as much sense as geese, we will stay in formation with those who are ahead of where we want to go and be willing to accept their help as well as give ours to others.

Fact #3 – When the lead goose gets tired, it rotates back into the formation and another goose flies at the point position.

Lesson Learned – It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership.

Fact #4 – The geese in formation honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

Lesson Learned – We need to make sure our honking from behind is encouraging and not something else.

Fact #5 – When a goose gets sick or wounded or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it down to help and protect it. They stay with it until it is able to fly again, or dies.  Then they launch out on their own, with another formation, or they catch up with their flock.

Lesson Learned – If we have as much sense as geese do, we too, will stand by each other in difficult times as well as when we are strong.

Various Board members spoke about teambuilding. When there is conflict, we should have respect for one another. When we speak, we should make eye contact. We are all a team. The NCA Board and NCA Committee Chairs are here to serve the membership. Jack’s website should be a little less critical of the Board and its members. We should read our Code of Ethics. There should not have been any reference concerning the “dueling agendas.” A team that works together is important. We should be able to bounce ideas off one another. These ideas should not be quoted. Listening is also very important. To have a group that functions well, we should be able to speak to one another on a regular basis. One person felt this Board operates in secret. We have not been open to our members. Others felt the board is open and does not operate in secret.

An NCA member in the room stated that he had tried to speak at the last face-to-face meeting in December and was told by the President that was not permitted. The President did not recall that incident. The minutes should reflect more discussion. We should use Robert’s Rules as long as it does not conflict with Connecticut law.  We should respect the rights of others when they speak. It is rude to interrupt and to quickly Call the Question on a motion. There is a perception that the Board operates in secret. We should strive to keep an open dialogue with our membership. The minutes should reflect who says what.  There should be a newsletter as to the direction the Board is going.

At 9:05 a.m. the teambuilding session ended. Jack Dean was not awarded a white feather.

Membership

Bob Rogers, Membership Chairperson, reported to the Board that the membership directory is growing and it has reached the maximum number of pages with only 6 pages left. There are several different options. The first to use an 8 ½ x 11 format costing $4,000, second, to use a perfect binding system costing $5,000, and, third, to use signature sewing costing $5,500.

Roger Frey moved and Joan Gunn seconded to approve the signature sewing binding. Discussion ensued and it was the consensus of the Board that we should wait on this issue because it is too expensive. Possibly, Bob could look at changing the layout of the directory. The motion was withdrawn.

Bob Rogers reported that he would like to email NCA membership applications when requested. The applications would also contain the NCA bylaws and Ethics Guide. Clyde Dunphy moved and Mary Lou Cuddy seconded to approve the recommendation to send NCA membership applications via email in addition to the standard way of sending through the mail.

There was discussion about the size of the membership application. The membership form will be 8 ½ x 11. The process takes about six months for an applicant to become a member. A person proposed that the application form be on the NCA website for faster service. It is not necessary to place the application on the website. Bob Rogers recommended that if someone is interested in joining the NCA, they should make contact with the membership chairperson because it is more personalized than requesting the application over the NCA Website. The motion was amended to approve the recommendation to send the NCA membership application by email, when requested. A copy of the Constitution and By Laws and the Ethics Guide will also be included. The completed application will be sent to the Membership Chairperson with the signatures of the applicant (s) and sponsors. A hard copy will be sent to an applicant when requested. The motion passed unanimously. (Absent SM)

The Board requested that Jack Dean, Internet Chair, provide an email address for the Membership Chair on the membership page.

Bob Rogers presented a newly revised NCA application form and an NCA renewal form with new credit card information on it. The NCA will now accept credit cards for NCA applicants, renewals, rescue and health challenge donations. Clyde Dunphy moved and Joan Gunn seconded to approve the application forms. The motion passed unanimously. (Absent SM)

Bob Rogers also stated that he has received numerous inquiries from members asking where NCA logo items can be purchased. He wanted to know if the directory should have a page for these logo items. He would be willing to sell them. The Board did not feel this was appropriate and perhaps the idea should be presented to the Health Challenge. Clyde Dunphy moved and Joan Gunn seconded to ask the Health Challenge Committee to look into the idea of selling NCA logo items and decals. The motion passed unanimously. (Absent SM)

The membership had previously recommended to the Board that NCA member address changes be listed in Newf Tide. It is now possible for the membership chairperson to do this and recommends that a flyer containing these changes be included in Newf Tide. Joan Gunn moved and Aura Dean seconded that change of address information will be included as a separate flyer in Newf Tide, as needed, and as provided by the Membership Chairperson. The motion passed unanimously.

The Board thanked Bob Rogers for his time and effort as Membership Chairman.

Recess 10:00 a.m.

Return at 10:27 a.m..

Ad-hoc Database Committee

On behalf of ad hoc Database Committee, Bob Rogers reported that the old version of the database has not been updated. It is written in “D Base.” Bob Rogers is suggesting a new version be written in Microsoft Access and VBA. Bob Rogers then gave an in depth technical presentation of how the new database would work. Structure is very important because it will prevent errors. Its goal is multi-purpose. It will be used to generate the VNs, ROMs, Annual Titlists, health clearances and will be available for membership use. This is a big job. 

One member brought to Bob Roger’s attention that Dawn Fretts, Database Chairperson who is also on this committee, has little or no information about the new database, her job and she has problems with the method of data entry and who is supposed to do what. It was recommended that the Ad-hoc Database Chair call her.

One person said that Dawn had been called and she is fine with the program. The Board thanked Bob Rogers for his presentation and the committee for doing a fine job and asked them to continue with their work.

NCA Board Minutes

Roger Frey moved and Roger Powell seconded that in an effort to assist the Recording Secretary with the recording of the minutes that the NCA formulate a policy that the minutes will include the following: Rationale for the motion, the motion, pro and con discussion without names, the votes including names and, when not unanimous, a roll call vote with each Board member given the opportunity to state the reason for her or his vote.

Discussion

The minutes should be a true reflection of what occurred at a Board meeting. They should not be sanitized by leaving out discussions that make the Board look bad. They should be what was said at the meeting, not reports sent in by Board members after the meeting saying things that were never stated at the meeting. They should reflect who said what in discussions instead of making it impossible for the membership to have any idea of how their elected Board members feel on issues. There should be pro and con comments in the minutes with using names. The vote that lists the names will show the membership the position of that Board member. When there is not a unanimous decision, every Board member will vote again as a “Roll Call” and that will allow the each Board member an opportunity to give a brief comment. The motion passed unanimously. Absent (SM)

Approval of Teleconference Minutes

The Board reviewed the March 28, 2002 Teleconference Minutes. Aura Dean moved and Clyde Dunphy seconded to approve the March 28, 2002 Minutes as corrected. The motion passed. 10 Yes, 1 Abstain (RP was excused from the teleconference due to work) Absent (SM).

Working luncheon recess was called at 12:00 p.m. There was a short break and the meeting continued during lunch.

At 12:30 p.m. the meeting reconvened.

President's Report: (Beverly Eichel)

I have a separate report to the membership on Thursday as my farewell address. It’s a little long- but I promise it will be informative and hopefully, a fun address!

As my report to you, the Board, I think it is most appropriate to assess how I have met goals I originally set forth in my official candidate’s statement.

First- my successes: I believe I have succeeded in guiding the Board to more productive meetings, both in person and by teleconference.

My second goal was to emphasize education. We have appointed a Breeders Education Ad Hoc Committee, participated at the AKC Eukanuba Meet the Breeds and set record time for approving the General Education Committees’ new brochure and ad campaign.

My third goal was to accentuate our Breed’s working ability and by legislation we have placed more emphasis on our Versatile Newfoundlands.

My last success was creating an atmosphere of teamwork within the Board. I am very, very proud of how we have developed into a close-knit group. More work still needs to be done to enjoin our Committees in closer harmony. And, I have great concern over whether this spirit of teamwork can survive.

These successes will only be meaningful if you who remain are committed to continue. As well, I am hopeful that the remaining goals I have left undone will be addressed by the Board.

First- the Heroic Newfoundland. I am thankful we squeezed an award in for this year, but I can’t remember the last time we received a nomination. In years passed, I remember shedding many tears and smiling widely in reading all of the wonderful stories submitted for the Board’s consideration. Surely our Newfoundlands are still heroic! You need to find them, encourage the submission of their stories and continue steadfastly to recognize this our most wonderful aspect of our breed.

And, there is no such thing as too much emphasis on the Longest Living Newf. Don’t let this award slip by and ensure that it receives the recognition it richly deserves. I believe I said it best when I wrote it is a testimony to all of us that our devotion to our dogs does not end when their careers- or even their attractive function in life diminishes. Could not the Board additionally recognize all of the elderly nominations who may not be “the” oldest, but certainly have achieved a note-worthy age?

Lastly, you still need to place even more emphasis on the health of our breed. We have made strides by committing funds to have test results shared- and a possible confirmation class devoted to truly health dogs as well as consideration of a Hall of Fame award for good health. Without good health, or better health, our Newfoundlands will have no future.

In leaving office and in leaving the Board, I have but one request. Someday the Constitution and By-Laws will need to be revised. I request an Ad Hoc Committee be appointed and that I be appointed as chairperson in order to properly maintain records of issues that need to be considered when revising our governing document.

I close my report by saying after over 20 years of service to the NCA and10 years as an officer, I retire on Thursday with many mixed emotions. In some respects with all that is going on in my life right now, I am grateful to relinquish all this responsibility (and headaches). On the other hand, I know you all know how heavy my heart is and know that I will miss being in the midst of the heart beat of NCA- Many of you have asked me and I have reached a decision- I will stay on as is my right in ex-officio status.

But right now I want to personally thank each and every one of you for all the support you have given me as your President.

First Vice-President's Report: (Clyde Dunphy)

There will not be a report from the Charitable Trust Ad Hoc Committee. There will be a report from the Ad Hoc Database Committee and the Canine Health Information Center (CHIC) is under committee reports.

Second Vice-President's Report: (Sandee Lovett)

Committee job descriptions are being updated. We will conduct committee appointments at a later time today.

Corresponding Secretary's Report: (Robin Seaman)

The American Kennel Club (AKC) has invited the Newfoundland Club of America back to the Eukanuba Limited Classic.

Treasurer's Report: (Mary L. Price)

Cash Balances as of April 20, 2002

NCA Operations:

Checking Account                  $3,039.88

Savings Account                                $3,576.12

CD’s                                              $200,000.00

$206,616.00                      $206,616.00

“Distinguished Member” Restoration

Money Market Account                       $1,653.72

CD                                                       $1,521.53

$3,175.25                      $3,175.25

Uniform Trophy Fund

Money Market Account                                                           $  1,470.23

$211,261.48  

Recording Secretary's Report: (Tom Broderick)

Had written the March 28, 2002 teleconference minutes and distributed them to the Board for approval. Prepared the agenda for this Face-To-Face meeting and the Annual meeting on Thursday April 25, 2002.

AKC Delegate: (Mary W. Price)

The AKC is rescinding the $180.00 fee for a copy of pedigree data. The Eukanuba Dog Classic in December will feature the top 25 dogs, plus all Best in Show dogs.

Committee Reports:

Health and Longevity

Beckie Stanevich, chair, reported that the committee is continuing to input data from the H&L survey. Approximately 700-725 have been returned. The committee is sending a second mailing for additional information pertaining to the cause of cancer related deaths. They are expecting a 43% response rate of 1716. Cancer is the number one cause of death at 33% and cardiac disease is second with 23%. The final analysis of the survey will be completed this summer and the results will be published in Newf Tide. There will be an article in Newf Tide regarding the Canine Health Information Center (CHIC). The final chapter in the Health Book will be a chapter on Skin and Allergies. She further reported that the committee would be meeting during the National. They will be discussing the committee’s mission statement, Canine Health Information Center (CHIC), Cystinuria, and Reproductive problems. She also discussed some of the results of the Newfoundland survey on Hip dysplasia, Elbow dysplasia, Congenital cardiac and Cystinuria.

Distinguished Member Restoration Committee

Roger Frey reported for Ron Pemberton, chair of this committee, that the painting arrived in Philadelphia on April 19, 2002. There was no official report of the final price to complete the project.

Internet Committee: (Jack Dean)

The Internet Job Description was presented and discussed by the Board. Clyde Dunphy moved and Roger Frey seconded to accept the job description as revised. The motion passed unanimously.

Joan Gunn moved and Roger Frey seconded to have the minutes placed on the NCA website as soon as the Board approves them. The motion passed unanimously.

Joan Gunn moved and Roger Frey seconded that when the agenda is distributed to the Board that it be placed on the NCA website. The motion passed unanimously.

Policy Committee: (Joan Gunn)

The 2002 policy manuals were distributed to the Board. She reported that copies of the manuals were placed in the Hospitality Room for membership review and also that the Policy Manual should be placed on the NCA Website. The Board had far less executive sessions from the previous year. The Board extended a thank you to Joan Gunn for her work on the manual. Aura Dean moved and Clyde Dunphy seconded to place the NCA Policy Manual Volume 1 and Volume 2 on the NCA website. The motion passed unanimously.

Companion Newfoundland Committee

Sandee Lovett suggested that the Board officially change the name of the Companion Dog Committee to the Companion Newfoundland Committee. The name change was needed so that the committee would not be confused with Companion Dog (CD) in obedience. Clyde Dunphy moved and Aura Dean seconded to change the name from the Companion Dog Committee to the Companion Newfoundland Committee. The motion passed unanimously.

Regional Club Liaison

Mary Lou Cuddy reported that the Heart of America Newfoundland Club requested the NCA Board to approve a by-law change. The change would be to add the words in bold print: “Special meetings of the Board conducted by telephone, postal mail, or electronic-mail (to include Internet mail and facsimile) may also be called by the President.” Mary Lou Cuddy moved and Joan Gunn seconded to accept adding the words postal mail, or electronic-mail (to include Internet mail and facsimile) and to approve the Heart of America’s by-laws change. The motion passed unanimously.

Mary Lou was requested to read a resolution that was passed from the Newfoundland Club of Seattle’s 2nd Quarter General Meeting.

"The Newfoundland Club of Seattle strongly opposes the practice of purchasing purebred Newfoundland dogs at auction for the purpose of rescue. In light of this, we, as a club, refuse to assist the NCA Rescue Committee with any rescue that involves the purchase of Newfoundlands. The Newfoundland Club of Seattle has participated in many rescues where the purchase of the rescued dogs was not an issue, and we continue to be ready and willing to do so in the future."

Mary Lou also reported that there was a group of people interested in starting a regional club in Ohio. They have been given the information from the policy book regarding the formation of new regional clubs. All clubs are in compliance and are meeting regularly.

She will update the Board as to the percentage of NCA members in each regional club when the new NCA roster comes out.

Steering Committee: (Roger Powell)

No report was given.

Roger Powell asked if he would be allowed to call in using a speaker phone for the election of NCA Officers on Thursday evening after the annual meeting. The Board agreed that he could participate by telephone but the by-laws state that only members that are present would be allowed to vote.

There was a brief break at 2:33 p.m.

Working Dog Committee: (Cheryl Dondino)

The “Code of Ethics” document was presented to the Board. Roger Frey moved and Tom Broderick seconded to approve the Code of Ethics document as revised. The motion passed unanimously.

The Working Dog Committee would like the Board to approve the NCA Working Dog Grievance Procedures, which now includes the “Violation of the official Code of Ethics by a Judge.” The Grievance Procedure will be sent to all judges and will be published in Newf Tide. Roger Powell moved and Clyde Dunphy seconded to add the “Violation of the official Code of Ethics by a Judge” to the NCA Working Dog Grievance Procedures. The motion passed unanimously.

The Committee asked the Board to amend section 5 of the both Water and Draft Test Regulations under the heading “Dogs That May Not Compete” to add the words “significant other”. There was discussion as to how to define “significant other”. It was the consensus of the Board that there will be no action on this request.

NCA members Patty McDowell, Pat Randall, Tamzin Rosenwasser, Ken Wildman, Maredith Reggie, Lori Littleford, Kevin Gallagher, Laura Gallagher, Henry Jurczyk were present for the following portion of the meeting.

Canine Health Information Center (CHIC)

There was discussion of heart clearances to be performed on Newfoundlands by Board Certified Cardiologists. There was discussion of the integrity of the CHIC program without using Board Certified Cardiologists. Use of heart clearances for the Annual of Titlists and other NCA publications will be acceptable only from a Board Certified Cardiologists rather than a practitioner or specialist.

Clyde Dunphy moved and Roger Frey seconded to adopt a policy to published in Newf Tide and other official NCA documents that Board Certified Cardiac clearances are accepted only from a Board Certified Cardiologist and that Cystinuria reporting of testing be listed as clear, carrier unaffected or affected. The motion passed unanimously.

Mary Jane Spackman volunteered to receive the initial paperwork on cardiac clearances to confirm if they were conducted by Board Certified Cardiologists.  

NCA Health Challenge

Dave Helming and Challenge co-chairs, Mary Jane Spackman and Jan Boggio, were present to give the board an update on Health Challenge matters and reviewed the current status of health sponsored research. They indicated that there are only $58,500 in uncommitted Health Challenge dollars. They recommended that the Board consider extending the Cystinuria testing for another year. Aura Dean moved and Robin Seaman seconded to extend the Cystinuria testing for the fifth and final year ending the program in 2003. The motion passed unanimously.

The Board was requested to revisit the policy about using Health Challenge dollars to fund the CHIC program. It was felt that Health Challenge dollars were donated for health research and spending them for registration purposes was not an appropriate use of the donated funds. The committee will revisit the policy for reducing the fee for CHIC data entry.

Clyde Dunphy moved and Roger Frey seconded to revisit the policy about the use of Health Challenge dollars to fund the CHIC program. The motion passed unanimously.

Judges Education Committee

Betty McDonnell, chair of the JEC reported that all twelve members want to continue to serve on the committee. There are five new mentors that have not been officially asked .The responses from the AKC regarding the Working Dog Seminar were positive, but they had recommendations for improvement. The judges enjoyed the working dog presentation, but they did not want the breed standard to be read in the manner that the JEC presented it. The AKC judges wanted a shorter version of the standard. The JEC received positive feedback on the breed video. The producer of the CDROM program wanted to receive $10,000 up front. There are other options that the committee will consider. Tom Broderick moved and Sandee Lovett seconded to direct the JEC to develop the concept of a visual sketch to use for the Breed Seminar presentation. The motion passed unanimously.

Newf Tide Policy: (Aura Dean)

Aura Dean, chair of the Newf Tide Policy Committee, Jan Boggio, Newf Tide Editor, as well as Ken Wildman, were present when Maredith Reggie, Annual of Titlists, volunteer Editor addressed the Board regarding a concern with the production of the Annual. The committee agreed that there may not always be enough room on each page to include the three-generation pedigree plus the photo of the dog. In 1986 there were 69 entries and in 2000 there were 207. Dog colors, OFA numbers, country of origin, titles and health clearances take space. Some suggestions from the committee were to reduce the picture size, reduce the font size, to put two entries to a page instead of the present three or to remove the last generation from the pedigree. The committee unanimously recommended that the Board approve the elimination of the third generation from the pedigree. The Board discussed all options and costs and decided that although a reduction in the font size may result in making the publication more difficult to read, it is important to have all three generations included in the Annual. During this discussion it was determined that the purpose of the Annual has not been clearly defined and that it may be used for purposes other than that which was originally intended, to celebrate the accomplishments of the dogs. Roger Powell moved and Joan Gunn seconded if more space is required for the printing of theAnnual of Titlists this year or next year, the committee should use a smaller font. The motion passed 7 yes, 1 no (AD), 3 abstain (CD, RF, MLC).

(Absent: SM)

The Board thanked Maredith Reggie for her presentation.

National Specialty Committee: (Henry Jurczyk)

Kathy Paxton, Show Chairperson along with Don Sharkey, President of the Colonial Newfoundland Club, presented plans to host the 2006 National Specialty at the Rocky Gap Lodge & Golf Resort, Rocky Gap, Maryland. The dates are Tuesday, March 27th through Saturday, April 1, 2006. Clyde Dunphy moved and Joan Gunn seconded to approve the Colonial Newfoundland Club’s bid to host the NCA National Specialty in 2006. The motion passed unanimously.

At 6:15 p.m. the Board recessed for dinner.

The Board reconvened at 9:22 p.m.

National Specialty Committee: (Henry Jurczyk)

Kevin and Laura Gallagher and Lori Littleford from the Newfoundland Club of Northern California presented plans to host the 2005 NCA National Specialty. The Specialty will be held at the Hyatt Regency, Monterey, California from Tuesday, April 26th through Saturday, April 30, 2005. The show will be held approximately a mile away at the fairgrounds. Roger Frey moved and Joan Gunn seconded to approve the bid for the Northern California Newfoundland Club to host the 2005 National Specialty. The motion passed unanimously.

Henry Jurczyk reported that the uniform trophy budget is $7,000 but actually should be closer to $10,000. He would like to get the Uniform Trophy Plates in line from $6,500 to $7,000. The Specialty Guide should be ready for Board review by the fall face-to-face meeting.

The meeting was recessed at 9:41 p.m. to hold the NCA Charitable Trust meeting.

The meeting was reconvened at 11:05 p.m.

Committee Appointments

Jack Dean stated that when the Board appoints committee members, the Board should avoid having one person serve as a chair or be a member of several different committees when there are equally qualified people to serve found among our 2,200 members. Roger Frey moved and Joan Gunn seconded to conduct the committee appointments by the sitting Board. The motion passed. 9 yes (TB There is no time scheduled for the new Board to make the appointments.- RF We should follow the agenda. – RS This is the way it was done when I came on the Board. 2 no ( AD, RP: It is the job of the new Board) (Absent: SM)

Breeder’s List Application for 2002-2003:

Robin Seaman moved and Tom Broderick seconded to revert back to the original Breeders List (2000-2001) application.

The rationale for this motion is that many breeders were unsatisfied with the new application; the Board had established an Ad-Hoc Committee to report back to the Board with their recommendations. Many breeders did not re-apply last year because of the wording that breeders are to be responsible for all the puppies sired by a stud dog. It was felt that since so many breeders act as educators for people looking for puppies, even if they do not have any, that this was just one more form of education that we could utilize to keep people from going to pet stores. It is recommended that the Board use the original Breeders List Application until the Ad-Hoc Committee had a chance to respond.

The motion failed 5 yes, 6 no (CD-There was discussion at the time and the changes were approved., BE- I agree with Dr. Powell., RF- Owners of stud dogs should be responsible for puppies they produce., RP- Although I want to hear from the committee, we should stay with this application.

At 11:19 p.m. the Board went into executive session.

The Board came out of executive session at 12:53 a.m.

While in executive session the Board completed the following business. The Board discussed the Junior Scholarship Award. The Board decided to offer two scholarship awards, each for $500 to Adrienne Hill and Nicholas Weber.

The Board approved the new member applicant list dated April 9, 2002.The Board did not approve the three applications that were held in abeyance.

Clyde Dunphy thanked Beverly Eichel for her work on the Board. She spearheaded the AKC approval of the revised NCA Constitution and By-laws. She worked on the ETCL issue. She served as President from 2001-2002, 1st Vice-President from 1995-2001, and Recording Secretary from 1992-1994. Steve McAdams was also thanked for his service on the NCA Board. He was elected to the Board in 1998 and served as Corresponding Secretary from1998-2001. They were honored with a plaque as a token of appreciation from the Board.

The Board voted to add four additional members to the Judges Education Committee and the committee chair will be asked to provide the Board with recommendations.

Board Appointed Committees:

AKC Breed Referral- Johanna Matsuda, Chair

AKC Legislative Liaison-Gail Wettstein

Arbitration- Ken Price, Chair (Barbara Jenness, Nancy Aliff)

Finance- Kevin Gallagher, Chair (Mark Aliff, Ken Price, Sandy Gabel, Helen Mancuso, Susan Wagner, Andy Zinsmeyer, ex officio, Mary L. Price and Frank Winnert)

Internet- Jack Dean, Chair (Michael Marcus, Todd Bennett, Mary Lou Zimmerman, Barbara Finch)

Judges Education- Betty McDonnell, Chair (Ingrid Lyden, Fran Dibble, Kathy Griffin, Peggy Helming, Carol Winnert, Sue Jones, Margaret Willmott, Steve McAdams, Mary W. Price, Jo-Ann Riley, Robin Seaman)

National Specialty- Henry Jurczyk, Chair (Budget & Finance-Jack Witt, Working Dog-Lori Littleford, Specialty Show Guide- Joan Gunn, Properties- open, Uniform Trophy- Lee Ann Hughes)

Nominating-Steve McAdams, Chair (Jean Quandt, Dwight Summers, Susan Wagner, Tracy Warncke; Alternate- Johanna Matsuda)

Research Advisory- Cherrie Brown, Ph.D., Chair (Rebecca Stanevich, Allan Robins, MD, Tamzin Rosenwasser, MD, Edith Markoff, Ph.D., Sharon Gwaltney-Brant, DVM)

Newf Tide Policy- Aura Dean, Chair (Glen Malchow, Ken Wildman, Maredith Reggie, David Van Couvering, Jan Boggio, editor, ex-officio)

Working Dog-Cheryl Domino, Chair (Steve Barks, Jacqueline Relocks, Gabrielle Cohen, Sandee Lovett, Joyce Echo Butler, Jocelyn Hawley, Barbara Jennies, Cindy White, Carol Winnert, Sue Marino, Dwight Grouch)

Steering- Roger Powell, Chair (Clyde Dunphy, Tom Broderick)

Regional Club Liaison- Mary Lou Cuddy

Regional Specialty Show Coordinator- Robin Seaman

Newfoundland Health Liaison- David Helming, (NCA Board contact-Clyde Dunphy)

Open Committees with Board-appointed chairs 

Awards- Ingrid Lynden

Breeders List- Candace McMahon

Companion Newf- Barbara Frey

Database- Dawn Frets

International Liaison- May Bernhard

General Education- Ann Marie Thibault

Health & Longevity- Rebecca Stanevich

Historian and Archives- Mary Jane Spackman

Juniors- Stacy Roderick

Membership- Bob Rogers- Mary W. Price

NCA Policy Manual- Joan Gunn

Newfoundland Health Challenge- Jan Boggio, Mary Jane Spackman

Obedience- Barbara Hearn

Publicity- Mary Lou Roberts

Recognition- Kathleen Hamilton

Rescue Network-Mary L. Price

Rescue Education/Prevention- Roger Frey

Versatile Newfoundland- Jacqueline Brellochs

Ad Hoc Committees (Board appointed)

Charitable Trust Structure- Clyde Dunphy, Chair (Frank Winnert, Mary L. Price, David Helming)

Memorial Trophy- Ron Pemberton, Chair (Roger Frey, Mary Dewey, Diana Sellers, Bob Quant, Jean Quant)

Distinguished Member Restoration- Ron Pemberton, Chair (Diana Sellers, Clyde Dunphy)

Health Class- Lori Littleford, Chair

Health Rom Award- Tamzin Rosenwasser

Breeders List-Education  Sue Jones, Chair (Roger Frey, Cathy Sands, Michael Marcus, Ann Thibault, Candace McMahon)

The Board thanked Mark Aliff for saving the NCA $1,200 in sales tax and Steve Britton for serving as parliamentarian.

Clyde Dunphy moved and Robin Seaman seconded to adjourn at 12:54 a.m. The motion passed unanimously.

Respectfully submitted,

Tom Broderick, Recording Secretary