Newfoundland Club of America Board of Directors Meeting

Teleconference of September 19, 2002

President Tom Broderick called the teleconference meeting to order at 8:04 pm Eastern time on Thursday, September 19, 2002. The following directors were present: Tom Broderick (TB), Mary Lou Cuddy (MLC), Aura Dean (AD), Jack Dean (JD), Clyde Dunphy (CD), Roger Frey (RF), Joan Gunn (JG), Sandee Lovett (SL), Roger Powell (RP), Mary L. Price (MLP), Robin Seaman (RS), Deb Wigal (DW), Beverly Eichel (BE) (ex-officio) (arrived at 8:25 pm) and Mary W. Price (MWP), AKC Delegate (ex-officio). Steve Britton, parliamentarian, was present.

Aura Dean moved and Robin Seaman seconded to conduct the meeting according to the Newly Revised Robert’s Rules of Order, 10th Edition. Motion passed 6 Yes (TB, MLC, AD, SL, DW); 4 No (CD – we will spend too much time worrying about procedure and not enough time doing business; RF – I think the Board should follow fair and democratic practices as they have for the past eleven years that I was aware of, being on the Board; JG – I agree with CD, it impedes the flow of business; MLP – I believe the Constitution and By-laws and our policies are sufficient guides); 2 Abstentions (JD – I am not certain at this time if it is best; RP)

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the June 25, 2002, July 1, 2002 and July 8, 2002 meeting were amended. Aura Dean moved and Joan Gunn seconded to approve the June 25, 2002, July 1, 2002 and July 8, 2002 meeting minutes as amended. Motion passed. 11 Yes (TB, MLC, AD, CD, RF, JG, SL, MLP, RP, RS, DW); 1 Abstention (JD).

The minutes of the July 30, 2002 meeting were amended. Aura Dean moved and Deb Wigal seconded to approve the July 30, 2002 minutes as amended. The motion passed unanimously. 

Suspension of Regular Order of Business

Beverly Eichel joined the meeting at 8:25 pm.

It was requested that since Roger Powell would be in attendance only for the first hour of the meeting that the order of business be suspended. By unanimous consent, Tom Broderick, President, suspended the order of business so that Roger Powell could participate in the discussion of the rescue packet approval.  

Rescue Ballot Packet

Clyde Dunphy moved and Joan Gunn seconded to officially approve the pro commentary. The motion passed 7 Yes (MLC – I agree with Clyde and Sandee: AD, CD – I voted yes, the Rescue Prevention Committee (RPC) did an excellent job of preparing the entire packet; RF, JG – I think the Board should accept the work of the committee. The committee was unanimous on this product; SL – I appreciate the efforts of the committee and wish to support its decision; MLP); 4 No (TB – I agree with Jack, Robin and Debbie; JD – The Board has an independent duty to provide a fair and balanced presentation and the articles are not equally effective and therefore the total package does not fairly present both sides. This is the same reason I voted no on the con article; RS – I cannot vote to approve this document in its entirety when it says what it does about the AKC without giving them the opportunity to refute; DW – I think the article is wonderfully written and under different circumstances I would approve it. However, I do believe the packet as a whole is not balanced and the majority does not feel this way and would not allow changes nor would they allow recent pertinent information to be included. Since the packet as a whole is not going to be voted on, I am voting no on this article); 1 Abstention (RP)

There was discussion on the packet’s cover letter regarding Tom Broderick’s request to remove his name from said letter and the replacement wording that should be used.

Clyde Dunphy moved and Joan Gunn seconded to remove Tom Broderick’s name from the cover letter and substitute “the majority of the NCA Board”. The motion passed unanimously.

A supplemental fact sheet regarding a September 14, 2002 auction which included several Newfoundlands had been submitted for Board consideration.

Jack Dean moved and Deb Wigal seconded to add the supplemental fact sheet of a September 14, 2002 auction which included several Newfoundlands to the rescue ballot packet.

It was noted that there were discrepancies regarding the reported sale prices and the dogs’ birth dates. A member stated that the information for the data sheet was obtained from several sources.  The birthdates were obtained from an email sent by Mary L. Price to the entire board on August 29, 2002.  In that email she stated that she had verified the information.  The prices the Newfs were sold at were reported by four NCA members who were physically present at the auction and were there just for the Newfs. Discussion followed. It was not noted that the other consignor’s (Lewis) dog had been bought by an NCA member in attendance who notified the breeder when she identified the dog as bred by an individual she knew. Incomplete and/or incorrect information should not be included in the membership’s informational packet.

Jack Dean moved and Robin Seaman seconded to recess for 5 minutes.

The motion failed 7 No (MLC, CD, RF, JG, SL, MLP, RP); 5 Yes (TB, AD, JD, RS, DW)

Roger Powell moved and Clyde Dunphy seconded to call the question. The motion failed 5 Yes (MLC, CD, SL, RP, RS); 7 No (TB, AD, JD, RF, JG, MLP, DW)

Discussion continued. It was stated that we can keep adding information but it probably is not going to change anyone’s mind. Mary L. Price quoted from a report from a non-Newf person who attended the auction. There are discrepancies on some points - some prices, birth dates and the number of dogs pulled from the auction. There were questions about the title of the report. It was stated that we should get going and vote – we are wasting the membership’s money and our time. There was a question as to why Rescue Prevention Committee (RPC) member was after Patti McDowell’s name when this was a personal report and not a RPC document.

The motion failed. 7 No (MLC – I agree with CD and RF; CD – I voted no as this document was not complete and not verifiable; RF – I voted no because we could not approve this report as presented without necessary corrections; JG – I voted no as the information on the sheet does not support either side of the issue and so loses its validity; SL – I voted no and ditto RP. I am in favor of getting this packet out to the membership, this information is neither complete nor accurate; MLP – I feel the sheet as presented contains too many errors; RP – I am in favor with providing the membership with as much information as possible, but I felt too many unknowns surround this item); 5 Yes (TB – I feel the membership deserves to obtain all this important information; AD – I voted yes because the membership is entitled to this information and who is to verify what is verifiable?; JD – Again, the majority of the NCA Board, which is pro purchase, does everything they can to see that this packet is unfair and the membership does not have all the facts. What they don’t realize is that a vote perceived by the majority of the membership to be unfairly obtained will have no persuasive power and they are condemning the NCA to forever debate this issue; RS – ditto JD; DW – ditto JD, I think the membership deserves to have the information)

Roger Powell left the meeting at 9:10 pm.

Jack Dean moved and Robin Seaman seconded to include Patti McDowell’s report on the auction.

There was discussion over the discrepancies in the report. It was stated the RPC prepared a document and it was accepted. If there are to be additional considerations, the time frame for mailing will be changed. If it gets sent back to the committee, then the whole process gets set back more.

The motion failed. 6 No (MLC, CD, RF – I voted no because it was not approved by the RPC; JG – ditto RF; SL – ditto RF; MLP – ditto RF); 5 Yes (TB – Again, the membership deserves to have all the facts; AD, JD – It is interesting for the pro side to again stonewall the release of information by using the RPC as an excuse when this auction happened after their final report; RS, DW); (Absent – RP)

Jack Dean moved and Deb Wigal seconded that the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) sheet be appended to the end of the con commentary.

It was asked who prepared this sheet. Several different people contributed to it. The RPC did not have any input into it. It was stated that the Board had charged the RPC to develop the packet, no other group had approval from the Board. Roger Frey, chairman of the RPC, read an email from Pat Randall (RPC member) who was the coordinator of the con commentary for the rescue ballot packet. The email stated that if additional information was added to the con commentary then the pro side should have information added to it also.

The motion failed. 6 No (MLC – ditto JG; CD – ditto MLP and SL; RF – I am proud of the work that the RPC has done in preparing this packet for the membership. Creating an impression that one side got special treatment would, in my opinion, be disastrous in the long run; JG – I think the RPC has developed a reasonable set of pro and con articles and to delay sending this out any further to the membership would not serve the membership in resolving this issue; SL – I think if there are FAQs for the one side, then there should be FAQs for the other side; MLP – I voted no because it is not fair to increase the con commentary by 2 pages and not the pro commentary); 5 Yes (TB – I voted yes to include this document because I feel it is pertinent that the membership receive all the information necessary to make the proper decision and since the con commentary was voted not to go back to the committee to be re-written, this additional information is necessary; AD – I voted yes. I feel that we are obligated as a Board to present all of the information on both sides of the issue; JD – When the con article was three pages and the pro article four pages and I wanted to change it to be equal in length, the pro side thought it was fine as it was. Now that the con article may be one page longer than the pro article they view that as an outrage; RS – I voted yes but I also felt that it should go back to the committee for both articles to be balanced and that was voted down; DW – ditto AD); (Absent: RP)

It was asked if the packet had now been approved. The Board has approved each section.

Roger Frey reported on the timeline for the rescue packet. The date for the return of the ballots will have to be changed from the original date. The NCA members who are counting the ballots have not yet been contacted. It will take 10 business days for the printer to get the ballots in the mail. The ballot will be mailed by October 4th. At least a four to five week turnaround time is required for the international members. The results will not be back in time for the November face-to-face meeting. The turnaround time should then be extended to six weeks. That would provide sufficient time for the international members. There was discussion about putting the ballot in Newf Tide versus first class postal delivery. Newf Tide requires at least six weeks to deliver to all members. First class delivery would be fair to everyone. Ballots must be returned by November 15th. It was unanimously decided that the packet would be sent by first class mail. (Absent: RP)

It was brought up that the candidates for election to the Board are being asked to comment on their stand on rescue. It was asked if the deadline for these comments should be extended to give the candidates time to include the results of the vote in their comments. It was decided to leave the deadline as it is. 

New-Pen-Del letter

New-Pen-Del Newfoundland Club wrote a letter to the Board concerning the lack of an announcement regarding the Landseer painting being in Philadelphia during the National Specialty. The Board acknowledged being in error for not getting the word out to the membership in a timely manner. Tom Broderick will write a response to their letter and email a copy of it to the Board for comments.

Steve Britton left the meeting at 10:04 pm. It was directed that the minutes reflect the Board’s thanks to Steve for his advice. 

Executive Session

Clyde Dunphy moved and Aura Dean seconded to go into executive session at 10:04 pm. The motion passed unanimously. (Absent: RP)

Joan Gunn moved and Clyde Dunphy seconded to come out of executive session at 10:09 pm. The motion passed unanimously. (Absent: RP)

While in executive session, the Board approved the lists of member applicants dated August 7, 2002, August 19, 2002, September 12, 2002 and September 16, 2002. 

Report of the Recording Secretary

Mary Lou Cuddy reported that she had complied the September 19, 2002 agenda. The minutes from August 27, 2002 and the September 12, 2002 meetings will be included in the next agenda. 

Report of the Corresponding Secretary

Robin Seaman reported that she had received correspondence from the Old English Sheepdog Club of America (OESCA). OESCA wishes for support for their request to the AKC that group totals be added to the Awards publication. Several members stated that this is a good idea and should be supported. It was directed that the minutes reflect the Board’s support of this request. Robin Seaman will email the letter to Ingrid Lyden, Awards Chair, and talk directly with Ingrid.

Robin Seaman reported that she had received a letter from the AKC’s Communications Department. They are requesting that each parent club designate a few people, at least one in the New York City area, who would be available to act as media resources, along with their dogs.

Robin Seaman reported that she had been informed that there were no minutes published in Newf Tide from the Board’s 2002 Annual Meeting. Tom Broderick will forward them to Newf Tide. This, of course, was an oversight.

She also reported that Steve Gladstone is available to meet with the Board at its face-to-face meeting on Saturday, November 2, 2002 at 1:00 pm. This information should be placed on the NCA website. 

Report of the Treasurer

Mary L. Price reported the following balances:

NCA Operations

Checking Account

Savings Account

CDs   

"Distinguished Member" Restoration

Money Market Account

Uniform Trophy Fund

Money Market Account

$232,045.91

Report of the AKC Delegate

Mary W. Price reported on the most recent AKC Delegates meeting, held in New York City on September 10, 2002. The principle agenda item was the election of persons to serve on the Delegate Standing Committees. Connie Vanacore, NCA member and delegate of the Irish Setter Club of America, was re-elected to the Canine Health Committee, where she will continue to serve with NCA member Becky Stanevich. Member Helen Munday remains on the Obedience Committee.

An up-date from the High Volume Breeders Committee, chaired by Patty Strand, was the topic of the forum, which was held in the morning before the regular meeting. This committee is preparing its recommendations and report to the AKC board of directors. Protocol dictates that the committee's suggestions for procedures concerning High Volume Breeders must go first to the AKC board before being shared with the delegate body. There was some indication that the committee's suggestions will include expanded use of limited registrations, some AKC involvement in rescue efforts, and continual upgrading of AKC's care and conditions standards.

The focus of the Parent Clubs Committee meeting, which was held on Monday afternoon, was the final planning of the October 25-27, 2002, Parent Club Conference. Representatives from nearly 140 parent clubs will be attending. At the request of the AKC board, committee members suggested criteria to be considered for a possible breeder-of-the-year award.

The December meeting of Delegates will be held in Orlando, Florida, on the day before the AKC/Eukanuba national invitational championship.

November Face-to-Face Meeting

Agenda items are due by October 10th. After discussion, it was decided to start work at 9:00 am Friday, November 1, 2002. The Board will break for lunch and make a trip to the Museum to view the Landseer painting and then resume work for the rest of the day. There will be no break on Saturday, Steve Gladstone of the AKC, will speak in the afternoon. The Board will work on Sunday until a quorum is lost due to members leaving to catch their flights.

The Board went into a Charitable Trust meeting following adjournment.

Jack Dean moved and Robin Seaman seconded to adjourn the meeting at 10:34 pm Eastern time. The motion passed unanimously.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary Lou Cuddy
Recording Secretary